Welcome

The Pettygrove family is lives in Papua New Guinea to serve those working in Bible translation
Join us with our progress....

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

What is home?



Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
    my hope comes from him.
 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
 My salvation and my honor depend on God[a];
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
 Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your hearts to him,
    for God is our refuge.
Psalms 6:25-8


Today we are at my son’s and daughter in law’s home.  It is a nice small 2 bedroom apartment.  I have been thinking a lot about what home is.  I did not realize how hard it would be on me selling our home.  I know we are doing what God has called us to do.  I have had many missionary colleagues who are a lot farther along in the process and sold their home a long time ago.

The dictionary defines home as:   
1. House, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household.
2. The place or region where something is native or most common.
3. The place in which one's domestic affections are centered.

So does my difficulty begins with “change?”  I am not in my usual place of residence. It is not what I am used to.  I am staying in a friend’s home.  They are sharing their basement with us which includes a nice living area, kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom.  Elijah is also enjoying their tv room.  It is not the same as “our” home of 17 years.  It is even in a different town and state.
Or does it deal with my “domestic affections?” As a woman I know our home can define who we are.  We usually are the ones doing the designing.  Our home did have pictures, knick knacks, colors, designs that I picked out.  But does it mean I loved our home?  Yes I did.  Is that good or bad?  I know God is the one who gave it to us and enabled us to take care of it.  I am grateful for the nice home we had.  I am grateful to the God who will always supply a shelter for us. 

May He be my Shelter.
My home.
My fortress.
May my heart rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment