Welcome

The Pettygrove family is lives in Papua New Guinea to serve those working in Bible translation
Join us with our progress....

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Writing on our Wall



Transition:  movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another
Change:  to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone
Loss: the state of being deprived of or of being without something that one has had

I have thought about these words a lot over the past year.  In our training we were taught about these concepts. Everyone knows what they are and has experienced them in various ways.  Sometimes, they are in wonderful situations such as a marriage or a new baby. Other times they are unpleasant like in a death.  I can remember learning the five stages of grief way back in High school. (Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance) 

So how do I as a Christian work through these concepts?  I am still pondering it.  A year ago we sold our home.  It was nothing fancy but it was our home.  As part of the letting go process my husband had each of the kids write something on a wall before he covered it with wainscoting.  It was a way we could say good bye.


My husband and I attended a six week orientation when we arrived here.  At the end of the time some of the people stayed there.  We had to say good-bye.  Our instructor pointed out that it is a part of missionary life, saying hello and good-bye.  Many come and go in the community we live in.  Some are here for four years and go home for a year.  Others have homes in villages that they spend a couple months at and then are on Center for a couple months. Some friends go home and never come back.  The people are always changing.  The friends I make come and go. 

However as I read Hebrews 13 I found this:
There should be a consistency that runs through us all.
For Jesus doesn’t change—
yesterday, today, tomorrow,
he’s always totally himself.

So in the midst of transition, change and loss (positive or negative) I can keep my focus on Jesus who is always faithful and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment